Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lesson Learned [3]

As I mentioned previously, Charity and I have recently come out of an intense time of learning. It is my desire to record some of these lessons learned for the sake of perhaps encouraging others. It is also my desire that I do not forget the lessons learned, even by encouraging accountability from readers to help me remember these lessons.

Lesson Three: My lack of gratitude is sinful.

For who regards you as superior? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?--1 Corinthians 4:7
--21 years ago I was in awe that God made a woman so gorgeous.

--About 18 years ago, I finally worked up the courage to speak to her, and was surprised that she would be so kind and friendly to me.

--17 years ago, I spent a summer with her, marveling that her inner beauty exceeds her outer.

--14 years ago (July 20, 1995), I was dumbfounded when she told me she loved me.

--13 years ago (July 21, 1996), I was flabbergasted that she said, "I will."

--12 years ago (July 12, 1997), I was overjoyed when she said, "I do."

--7 years ago (August 24, 2002), I was amazed that she could continue to love me and my daughter so well. (And continue to prove that three more times!)

--35 days ago, I sat on my couch in shock...thinking I was going to lose her.

Sadly, somewhere between 21 years ago and 35 days ago, I started to take her for granted. I acknowledged that I didn't deserve her and I knew that to be true. However, I wasn't fully seeing the grace of God in my bride. It should not take fear or tragedy to wake me up, yet I was not appreciating her as I should.

God laid the following things on my heart:

If God takes my wife from me today, He has already given me varying levels of undeserved joy for the last 21 years. That first encounter with her was better than I deserved.

I am a dolt, therefore, I am prone to forgetting this lesson. Yet another evidence that I have been treated far better than I deserve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, yeah - i like this post!

marilyn66 said...

Danny, I have tears streaming down my face. How beautifully stated. I know you won't admit it much but you ARE a romantic! Glad you married my daughter! I've enjoyed watching that 18 year journey, and should the Lord tarry, I'll enjoy watching what's left to see!