Friday, May 16, 2008

Preaching with Humility

If a preacher is confident in the Word of God, it is easy for some to mistake it for arrogance. But he cannot be confident in himself; humility is a must.

One great way to work toward humility is to read Humility: True Greatness.

The other way...talk to your children.

This week, as three of my children were "sharing" a chair with me, I thought I noticed a unique odor. I asked the children if one of them had to go to the bathroom or if they had "tooted." My eldest wondered the motive of the query. When I explained I smelled an odor, she turned and informed me, "That's your breath."

The next day, she was telling me all the things she wants to have in common with her mother some day. She wants to be here heighth. She wants to have kids. She wants to sing. She wants to love Jesus. She also mentioned she wants to have a husband like mommy.

"So you want a husband like me?" I asked...quite flattered.

"Uh, no," she replied, "He needs to be nothing like you. I just want to be married."

Yep. I'll be approaching the pulpit with a little more humility.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i gained some more laugh lines today reading your and charity's blog!

could you guys move into the FM school district so I can have rachel in class? please?